As far back as the early 1950s, Ernest Bader was already promoting the idea of optimizing the use of natural resources in manufacturing products. Today, Scott Bader:
- continues to research and develop products with increasing natural feedstock content
- strives to reduce energy consumption per tonne of product produced across all our sites
- is committed to achieving a 15% energy consumption reduction by 2020.
Our Sustainability Team regularly reports back to the Group Executive Team on their progress. And we routinely assess our R&D projects and collaborations against a set of criteria so that we can rank them in terms of sustainability.
Over 30 of our current projects have a strong environmental basis including:
- Low VOC emission. We launched the industry leading Ecogel − a low styrene gel coat
- Waste elimination. We expect to achieve this via the application of new technology
- Recycling and other end-of-life recovery especially for composite materials
- Products for metal replacement to reduce weight e.g. for rail rolling stock, saving fuel and transport costs